Water Line Break, Bend Oregon
Garage Water Loss, Bend Oregon
SERVPRO of Bend was called out to a water line break above a garage in Bend, Oregon.
The homeowner noticed their ceiling in the garage having a different color than the rest of the garage. The dark color of the paint made it harder to notice immediately. Once the water started pooling on the floor of the garage, the homeowner knew something was not right.
SERVPRO of Bend used their infrared camera to spot the exact outline of the water damage. Once a plumber was called to fix the leak, Technicians setup a containment and began removing the affected area.
La Pine, Oregon Planning for Future Growth
La Pine, Oregon
La Pine, Oregon has only been an incorporated city for about a dozen years, but lately it's quickly becoming an even more popular place to live.
According to La Pine's City Manager, part of the appeal is the fact that La Pine is a city in the Central Oregon area, a magnet for newcomers.
Current public projects include the Highway 97 streetscape project and Housing Works' 42-townhome affordable housing project.
Though growing, most La Pine residents want to maintain the small-town feel. City officials also strive to include the public in the decision-making process.
Since the beginning of the year, about 20 to 25 businesses have joined the chamber, many of them brand new to the area.
(source: https://www.ktvz.com/news/la-pine-leaders-busy-planning-for-future-growth/778175356 )
Congratulations 4H Member Hannah Perkins
SERVPRO of Bend is extremely proud of our Water Technician, Amy Perkins' daughter Hannah. Hannah is a member of 4H and this year was her first year to show at the Deschutes County Fair.
Hannah had two pigs that she was raising for 4H, Marshmallow and Graham Cracker.
Hannah was able to sell one of her pigs during the swine auction for a whopping $8 a pound during the Deschutes County Fair this past weekend in Redmond, OR.
We're so proud of Hannah and all the kids at 4H and FFA who continue to build their skills through each of these great organizations.
Funds being raised for vandalized Hot Shots memorial, Prineville Oregon
SERVPRO of Bend, North Deschutes, Jefferson and Crook Counties have the utmost respect for our men and woman who selflessly support our communities.
If you haven't heard, the Crook County Parks and Recreation has launched a GoFundMe page to help with repairs to Prineville Wildland Firefighters Monument, which was vandalized this week, with several pieces removed.
Unfortunately, Vandals removed pieces of the statue at a walk-through memorial at Ochoco Creek Park.
This statue was dedicated to the nine Prineville Hot Shots among 14 firefighters killed in Colorado’s 1994 Storm King Fire.
If you wish to donate, you can select the hyperlink for their GoFundMe page.
Historical Mayoral Election in Bend, Oregon
In 2018, Bend Oregon will be having its first elected mayoral race.
In May, local voters approved Measure 9-118 that amends the city charter and shift Bend away from mayors appointed by City Council to directly-elected ones.
Bend is currently the largest city in Oregon where residents haven’t been able to directly elect their mayor. Instead, City Council appoints a mayor who then serves just a two-year term.
On August 14, 2018 from 5:00 - 7:00 PM the Bend Chamber of Commerce will be hosting a debate between candidates Bill Moseley and Sally Russell.
The location is:
10 Barrel Brewing Company62950 NE 18th St
BendYou can call the Bend Chamber of Commerce for more information. (541) 382-3221
Mold Found During a Routine Inspection
SERVPRO of Bend was called out to a customer after they were worried about ground water seeping into their crawlspace.
The homeowner noticed water settling beneath their vapor barrier. The vapor barrier looked to them to be full of air and when they poked it, water came seeping through.
Upon further investigation SERVPRO of Bend found that the sump pump had malfunctioned.
Technicians inspected other areas of the crawlspace an found that just above the are where the standing water was, mold was starting to grow. After fixing the sump pump, SERVPRO of Bend was able to remove the mold.
Mold Coverage: What Does Your Policy Say?
Recently, SERVPRO of Bend was participating in a Continuing Education (CE) class to multiple insurance agents from around the area. The question of mold coverage came up and it was an interesting conversation.
Many of them disclosed that Homeowners insurance policies often include vague wording regarding mold coverage, and it can be difficult to determine whether any mold damage you encounter will be covered. They said that it depends on the carrier but typically, policies exclude coverage for mold damage, except when the mold is the result of a covered claim, such as water damage.
The best advice was for customers to check their policies for what is and is not covered. Though there are pages of paperwork, it is always a great idea to highlight areas of concern and address those with your agent.
Ten Things You Should Know about Mold According To The EPA
Started in 1970 over elevated concerns about environmental pollution. Since then, the EPA has addressed multiple environmental issues that concern the health and safety of our nation. Here are 10 things they have put together regarding mold:
- Potential health effects and symptoms associated with mold exposures include allergic reactions, asthma and other respiratory complaints.
- There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment; the way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture.
- If mold is a problem in your home or school, you must clean up the mold and eliminate sources of moisture.
- Fix the source of the water problem or leak to prevent mold growth. Reduce indoor humidity (to 30-60%) to decrease mold growth by:
- Venting bathrooms, dryers and other moisture-generating sources to the outside.
- Using air conditioners and de-humidifiers
- Clean and dry any damp or wet building materials and furnishings within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.
- Increasing ventilation using exhaust fans whenever cooking, dishwashing and cleaning
- Clean mold off hard surfaces with water and detergent, and dry completely. Absorbent materials such as ceiling tiles, that are moldy, may need to be replaced.
- Prevent condensation: Reduce the potential for condensation on cold surfaces (i.e., windows, piping, exterior walls, roof, or floors) by adding insulation.
- In areas where there is a perpetual moisture problem, do not install carpeting (i.e., by drinking fountains, by classroom sinks, or on concrete floors with leaks or frequent condensation).
- Molds can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on virtually any substance, providing moisture is present. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, and foods.
(source: https://www.epa.gov/mold/ten-things-you-should-know-about-mold )
Storm Event Called for Carr Fire in Redding, CA
Carr Fire, Redding California
SERVPRO of Bend has committed to helping those individuals who have been displaced by the Wildfires in Redding, CA.
After our storm team made a request to assist in cleaning up fire and smoke damaged homes, SERVPRO of Bend began planning to send two teams to help.
The Carr fire is currently at 30% containment with over 1,000 homes destroyed and almost 200 damaged. To put it into perspective, the fire has burned an area four times the size of San Francisco.
We are always glad to assist in any way when these type of tragedies occur and value those on the front line who continue to fight the flames.
Prineville, OR Awarded $1 Million Grant
Congratulations to The city of Prineville. They were recently awarded nearly $1 million in Community Block Grant funding to renovate the Prineville Soroptimists Senior Center.
The funding will help with safety and accessibility improvements. In 2017, the center provided 31,000 meals to seniors in the Prineville area and plans to continue its wonderful services. The grant means they can continue their work and grow with the community.
The Prineville Senior Center has a long history of providing important services to our community. It was established in 1987 and this grant will assist with well-needed repairs. It is critical that the Senior Center facility is up to date, safe and welcoming to those who access services. I am happy that the City has been able to support the Senior Center in acquiring this grant to preserve their building