If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (541) 385-7044

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

How to Find & Use Your Water Shut-Off Valve

9/27/2019 (Permalink)

Knowing where and how to use your water shut-off valve is very important in the event your home experiences major leaking or flooding. If you are unable to stop a leak in your home, turning off your main water shut-off valve is a great solution. 

How to Find Your Shut-Off Valve

If you don't know where your water shut-off valve is, a good place to start looking is the perimeter of your house. Typically, the valve will be on the side of your house that faces the street (since the water main begins there). If you're having trouble finding your valve, you can check your property inspection report in the "plumbing" section. The location should be written there accompanied by a picture of the valve. As a last resort, you can always use the street-side shut-off valve located at the start of your water main. 

How to Operate Your Water Shut-Off Valve

Once you're able to locate your water shut-off valve, you'll want to know how to turn it off and on. Depending on what type of valve you have, there are different ways to turn it off and on. This is how you operate the most commonly used valves:

  • Knife Style Valve. A knife style valve resembles a straight handle. In order to open the valve, you'll want to put the handle parallel to the pipe. Turning the handle sideways will then shut the valve. 
  • Round Handle Valve. A round handle valve turns in a circular motion to be turned on and off. In order to turn the valve off, you'll want to turn it left until it is tight. 
  • House Side Valve. There is a street-side utility box for your house. You can access it by lifting the lid and putting it to the side. The side of the box facing your house will contain the house side valve. It usually had a knob or nut to turn off and on. 
  • Street Side Valve. The other side of the utility box facing the street will contain the street side valve. This valve is only supposed to be handled by water companies, so you will want to ignore it (it likely won't be able to be used without a special tool anyways).

Contact Information:

If you have any questions about water or mold damage, please do not hesitate to call the SERVPRO of Bend office at 541-385-7044.

WSSC Water
The Spruce

Other News

View Recent Posts