If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (541) 385-7044

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

5 Most Common Household Fire Hazards

4/30/2020 (Permalink)

The majority of house fires that occur in the United States are preventable. You can take some simple measures that will go a long ways in preventing house fires in your home.

Here are the five most common household fire hazards with tips on how to prevent them:

1.) The use of candles.

Poor judgment when using candles is one of the most common causes of house fires. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), there are an average of 25 candles fires per day.

If you use candles inside your home, there's a few simple preventative measures that you can take.

  • Make sure that you put out any candles before going to sleep.
  • Keep candles a minimum of one foot away from anything flammable.
  • Use candle holders that are sturdy and won't tip over easily.

2.) Being negligent while cooking.

Cooking is the number one cause of household fires. When cooking, it's important to never leave food unattended. You should keep flammable objects, such as towels, oven mitts, hot pads and any wooden cooking utensils away from heat sources. 

3.) The unsafe use of heating equipment.

According to the NFPA, space heaters account for over 30% of house fires and about 80% of all house fire deaths. Following a few rules of thumb can go a long way in preventing heating equipment fires in your home:

  • Keep anything flammable a minimum of three feet away from any portable heating equipment.
  • Turn off portable heaters before leaving a room or going to bed.
  • Do NOT use your oven as a heater. This actually releases carbon monoxide, which is poisonous and can sometimes be fatal. 

4.) Electrical equipment malfunctions.

Unfortunately, there's always the possibility for electrical equipment to malfunction. You should keep an eye on any electrical appliances that you use regularly for damaged cords. You should also make sure not to overload any outlets. Additionally, it may not be a bad idea to have an electrician do an annual checkup of your house's wiring.

5.) Failed dryer and washing machine maintenance.

Before using your dryer, make it a habit to clean your lint filter. This is a huge fire hazard that is often forgotten about. Additionally, you should periodically check the pipes for your washer and dryer and make sure they aren't restricted in any way. 

Contact Information:

If you have any questions about fire damage, smoke damage or making a fire escape plan, please do not hesitate to call the SERVPRO of Bend office at 541-385-7044.

Other News

View Recent Posts