Recent Posts

Garage Ceiling Damage, Bend Oregon

1/14/2019 (Permalink)

A water line above the garage in this Bend, Oregon home broke, causing water to run for a few days, damaging the garage ceiling below.

SERVPRO of Bend was called out to this homeowners house when they discovered that the ceiling in their garage had fallen and the debris damaged a car that was being stored in the home.

SERVPRO of Bend's water team went out to the site and found that the cold water line that went above the garage had burst, causing large amounts of water to leak onto the ceiling below. The weight of the insulation within the structure soaked up the water. The insulation was like a sponge and created a massive amount of extra weight for the drywall below. This caused the drywall in ceiling to collapse.

SERVPRO of Bend technicians cleaned up the damage and were able to dry the affected material.

Storm Watch for California

1/14/2019 (Permalink)

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Agency (NOAA), A deep Pacific trough off the West Coast will remain in place over the next few days with a frontal boundary approaching southern California Monday night, and additional shortwave impulses arriving through Tuesday.


The result will be widespread rain with some localized flooding issues possible for the coastal mountain ranges.  Heavy snow is likely for the
Sierra Nevada and Siskiyou mountains of California, with amounts possibly exceeding a foot at the highest elevations.

This is especially critical for those areas such as Woolsey, who in the past year have suffered from wildfires. The excessive amount of precipitation added to an already loose soil base has already caused some mud slides on the Pacific Coast Highway. 

source: NOAA.org

Water Damage to Bend Area Home

1/10/2019 (Permalink)

When this Bend, Oregon home had a bathroom flood, the homeowner called SERVPRO of Bend to come out and assist with the damage.

Technicians from SERVPRO of Bend went out to find that a pipe from under the bathroom sink had broke and water flooded the bathroom and an adjacent bedroom.

Due to the amount of time that the water was running, SERVPRO of Bend had to remove the carpet and pad in the bedroom while also removing the damaged drywall.

After a few days of drying the affected area, SERVPRO of Bend's structural team was able to come in and start repairing the damaged areas.

Bathroom Leak in Redmond, Oregon

1/2/2019 (Permalink)

This master bathroom in Redmond, Oregon flooded when the owner found that the angle stop had broken on the second floor while they were on vacation.

SERVPRO of Bend's water team were called out to assess the damage. The water technician found that the angle stop in the master bathroom had a break, causing damage to both the first and second floor bathrooms. The vinyl floor and subfloor material were saturated, so it was decided to remove both materials. The water had also damaged the drywall in the second bathroom to the point where it had to be removed so that the drying process could be efficient.

The owner was pleased that SERVPRO of Bend was able to get out to their residence the same day they discovered the damage and take care of the loss.

2018 Had Many Destructive and Costly Weather Events

1/2/2019 (Permalink)

2018 has been another year of destructive and costly weather events. Here are some of the most costly for 2018:

Hurricane Florence:

Moody’s Analytics estimated on Sept. 21 that Hurricane Florence economic cost will fall between $38 billion and $50 billion. This same time last year, the country was reeling after Hurricane Harvey, Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Maria together cost the U.S. $270.3 billion.

source: Wall Street Journal

California Wildfires:

California’s fire agency has now exhausted its annual budget for 2018 of $442.8 million and now needs an additional $234 million to continue combatting the California fires, according to the Associated Press.

Carr Fire had cost more than $25 million.

Ferguson Fire had suppression costs soar above $64 million.

Mendocino Complex and Carr, victims have filed more than 10,000 claims so far. The total amount of those claims so far exceeds $845 million.

In 2017, the state received more than 45,000 claims totaling more than $11.8 billion. To fight all the 2017 California fires, which were less costly than the 2018 California wildfires, the state fire agency ended up spending well above the initially approved budget of $427 million, with total spending for 2017 reaching $773 million.

source: Fortune Magazine

Water Damage Sunriver, Oregon

1/2/2019 (Permalink)

SERVPRO of Bend was called to this Sunriver resort rental home over the weekend in response to some reported water damage.

The water technicians found that their had been a dishwasher leak and it had ran long enough to saturate the parquet flooring material in both the kitchen and living room area.

Due to the amount of damage that had occurred, it was necessary to first remove all of the furniture and contents so the water team could effectively dry the area. After attempting to save the parquet flooring material, it was determined that it should be removed.

Mold Found Beneath Game Room Floor in Tumalo, Oregon Game Room

1/2/2019 (Permalink)

This older home in Tumalo, Oregon had a water loss so SERVPRO of Bend was called out to assess the damage. An ice maker in the game room had leaked, causing some damage to the flooring material.

Upon removing some of the flooring material, SERVPRO of Bend's water technicians found that there was some mold growth beneath the floor, likely caused by a previous loss. Upon approval for the insurance carrier, the team build a containment and was able to remove the affected material.

After the affected material was removed, the water technicians were able to dry the affected subfloor material.

SERVPRO Super Fan Dennis Peters

1/2/2019 (Permalink)

SERVPRO of Bend had a great visit from a super fan, Dennis Peters. Dennis was watching his team, the Washington State University Cougars playing in the Alamo Bowl. During the game, a SERVPRO commercial came on and he was excited to see the SERVPRO duck as part of the commercial.

As an avid collector of rubber ducks, Dennis came in to our office in Bend and inquired about how he could get a duck to add to his collection. Owner Brent Irwin was more than happy to provide Dennis with a SERVPRO duck to add to his collection.

His Washington State Cougars ended up winning the Alamo bowl so he was even more excited to have a win, win.

Have a Safe and Happy New Years!

12/31/2018 (Permalink)

Community Have a Safe and Happy New Years! Happy New Year 2019!

As 2018 winds down, We At SERVPRO of Bend want to wish everyone a safe and Happy New Years.

We have had a great year and are looking forward to having a 2019 that is even more fun and prosperous. We take pride in helping people in our community that might have property damage, either large or small.

Our technicians are available 24/7, even on holidays. We hope that this coming year is safe for everyone. If you have any kind of property damage that you would like us to take a look at, don't hesitate to give SERVPRO of Bend a call, 541-385-7044

La Pine family escapes fire in manufactured home

12/26/2018 (Permalink)

A La Pine family and their pets fled their 40-year-old manufactured home unharmed on Saturday morning after a fire traced to recent electrical issues broke out in their dining room wall, officials said Sunday.

The La Pine Rural Fire District responded shortly before 10 a.m. to the reported possible structure fire with smoke in the 5200 block of Pine Forest Drive, Captain Fred Franklin said.

The occupants said one of the walls in the dining room of their 30-by-50-foot double-wide manufactured home felt hot and they noticed smoke coming from the wall.

Firefighters spotted glowing and light smoke coming from an exterior wall and made entry, finding an area about 1-by-2 feet burning near the floor and up the interior wall, Franklin said. 

An investigation determined the fire originated inside the wall and was believed to be caused by faulty or overloaded electrical wiring.

The fire district official recommended addressing all electrical problems immediately, by calling a licensed electrician. If a house fire breaks out, Franklin said residents should immediately evacuate and close all exterior doors to limit the fire's growth.

Source: News Channel 21